Fireplaces, stoves and fireplace inserts need to be vented to the outdoors (except for electric fireplace models). There are several ways to route venting, and the direction can depend on the type of hearth product it is, and the fuel it burns. Here’s how it works:
- -Direct Vent Gas Fireplaces – most are vented to the outdoors horizontally -directly through the wall, but they can also be routed vertically through the roof.
- -Wood Fireplaces and Stoves – venting must be terminated to the outdoors vertically.
- -Pellet Stoves – most are vented horizontally, directly through the wall to the outdoors.
- -Fireplace Inserts – most are vented vertically through the roof, via the existing chimney.
- -Electric Fireplaces – no venting is required.